Succlent cubes of Indian cottage cheese (paneer) cooked in a lightly spiced, smooth sauce of tomatoes and cream.
Cottage cheese (paneer) or tofu 200 grams
Ripe, red, tomatoes (tamatar) 250 gms (4 or 5)
Cream (or Cashew cream - vegan) 2 or 3 tsp
Butter (or oil - vegan) 2 tbsp
Bay leaf (tej patta) 2
Fresh ginger 1 inch, grated
Fresh garlic 5-6, crushed
Red chilli powder pinch
Green chilli 1, slit and seeds removed
Garam masala 1 tsp
Raw sugar to taste, depending upon the tanginess present in the tomatoes - 1 tsp (?)
Ginger, julienned 1 inch
Dried fenugreek leaves (methi) 1/2 tsp
Water 1.5 - 2 cups
Salt to taste
• Rinse and chop the tomatoes. Puree into a smooth paste in blender. Keep aside.
• Melt butter in a pan. Saute your bay leaves for a few seconds till aromatic
• Add grated ginger and crushed garlic and cook till the raw aroma of these spices goes away
• Now add the tomatoes you have pureed and stir well.
• Add the chilli powder and saute the mixture till the fat begins to leave the side of the tomatos and the tomato mixture begins to clump together
• Add the water, and simmer on a low heat, till the sauce thicken (about 7 or 8 minutes)
• Now add the slit green chilli and julienned ginger. Stir and simmer for a minute.
• Add the sugar, salt and crushed fenugreek leaves, stir
• Add the paneer cubes and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes till the paneer cubes are cooked.
• Lastly add cream and gently stir.
• Switch off heat, sprinkle with garam masala, stir gently again.
Serve with rotis, or jeera rice.