We’re trained to put our best foot forward, not to show our weakness, not to let 'them' know what’s really going on behind the scenes… Don’t let them see you fail.
It’s easy to reflect on your life and see ten or more things you should be doing that you’re not, and ten more things you could be doing better than you are. All you have to do is open a magazine, or search 'yoga' on the ingternet, and you’ll be flooded with perfect bodies in perfect poses. Look in any business development group and you’ll see endless images of success and prosperity. These are flashes of reality. And often manipulated at that.
When you compare yourself to others, you take attention and energy away from your unique gifts. When you’re comparing, you’re not able to let your brilliance shine. You wind up trying to look the way they look, or do it the way they’re doing it, even though you might have a different way of doing things that aligns with your soul.
Secondly, you are not able to develop your gifts to their fullest. You wind up being a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Thirdly, you will suffer from 'bright, shiny object syndrome, because everything ‘cool’ and new will be ‘the thing’ that you’ve been missing. You’ll waste thousands of dollars on trainings, certifications and programs you don’t need, and not get the results you want. You’ll waste precious time spinning your wheels, trying to figure out why everyone else is successful and you’re not. And worst of all, you’ll diminish yourself into playing small or even quitting.
The third reason is the most severe, because you are here to serve people. When you play small, you don’t serve the people you’re here to serve. The world need you, and we don’t have time to waste.
The main reason most people are afraid to fail is not because they won’t reach their goal, it’s the fear of judgement, criticism, and letting down the people they love, and… 'what will they think'?
Often, the belief goes something like this: If you keep projecting the image of success, eventually you’ll feel successful. But it’s not that simple. What you wind up with is a double-life. A lie…
And your authentic divine nature never has a chance to shine because you are always in the shadow of your projected image. Just a step or two out of the light of your truth.
In simplest terms, You are always exactly where you need to be. Always. You have everything you need to take the next step forward. You may not be able to see the whole path, but if you can see the next step, you can take it.
Just. One. Step.
This is a new era of creativity and development. Not all of the old rules apply. In fact, most don’t. We’re finding our way through to the next level together, one step at a time, and sometimes it’s messy. Sometimes it’s confusing. Sometimes it feels embarrassing.
Drop the stress now.
Here is my promise to you. If you stop comparing yourself to others, you will immediately drop tons of weight on your shoulders. If you stop comparing yourself to where you think you should be, and you’ll drop another load.
Trust the universe. The space between those flashes of excellence and beauty are not always pretty. Not in anyone’s life. If you can focus on closing the gap between those flashes of brilliance just a little bit every day, before you know it, you’ll be living the charmed life, in a creative flow.
Will it be an ‘easy’ life? No. You will still have to work hard. But it’s a whole lot easier than keeping up appearances and swallowing all of your shame and disappointment because things didn’t go the way you planned. And It’s infinitely easier than judging yourself for not being where you think you should be.
- Don’t buy into the images. You never know what’s going on behind the scenes. Those who seem to have it all together often have the scariest skeletons.
- You are always exactly where you’re supposed to be. You are always perfectly positioned for your own growth and progress. Rather than trying to figure out ‘why me,’ simply take the next step you can take.
- You are infinite awareness. Any problem you could possibly encounter is entirely outmatched when you connect with your divine nature, with a Self that has never been hurt and needs no improvemen. You are embodied brilliance. Your purpose is not something you make up, but is something you’re made of. Your profile, that unique pattern being projected all around you, carrys your soul signature. Whatever is missing is what you're not giving. You generate everything you need, no matter what your circumstances.
Here are a few questions to reflect upon…
- Where are you comparing yourself with others in your life?
- Where are you comparing yourself with your own image of success and where you ‘should’ be?
- Who would you be if you stopped comparing yourself today?
Shanti Gowans is the globally recognised author and founder of Shanti Yoga™, Meditation and Ayurveda for the self, family and community.
Shantiji has brought the concepts and practices of a healthy body and a still mind to thousands of Australians through her Yoga and Meditation programs on national television... Read more about Shantiji's biography
Travel with Shanti & Peter Gowans this November for a trip of a lifetime.