- You take more than 15 minutes to fall asleep at night
- You wake up more than twice a night
- You sleep less than 6 hours per night
- You wake up too early and can’t get back to sleep
- You feel groggy in the morning
- You feel irritable, anxious or depressed
- You have trouble concentrating
- You crave sugar, carbohydrates, or caffeinated drinks
- You snore or suffer from sleep aponea
The incredible sleep solution that will have you feeling like a million dollars
- feel as rested as if you have had a strong and restful eight hours of uninterrupted sleep
- wake up naturally smiling and eager to embrace the new day
- feel awake and productive with a new source of energy at work or play
- eliminate the stress and moodiness associated with the lack of sleep
- start enjoying the activities and hobbies you love to do
- put an end to long or short term insomnia- feel and look like a million dollars.
Prescription sleeping pills won’t get you there. That’s because prescription pills are not designed to restore balance to your body and mind, and your insomnia can get worse even if you’re taking them. Sleeping pills don’t cure insomnia. All prescription sedatives and over-the-counter sleeping pills have side effects, including forgetfulness, confusion and even amnesia. They can also cause rebound insomnia which means when you go off your prescription sleeping pills, your insomnia could be even worse than when you started! They do not help you reach a level of deep, revitalising sleep.
If you’re 65 or older, using anti-anxiety drugs (benzodiazepines) for sleep can increase your risk of falls, with their resultant broken hips and legs, or even lead to car accidents. Even small doses may
Melatonin is a hormone made by the pineal gland, a small gland located in the center of the brain. Research shows that normally, melatonin levels rise in the evening, stay high for most of the night, then drop in the early hours of the morning. But natural melatonin levels drop with age. Some older adults make very small amounts of it or none at all. Without rising levels of melatonin in the evening, falling asleep becomes harder and harder. You sleep less at night, and feel worse during the day. You may also have to nap more, and find yourself feeling grumpy or depressed.
- You will enter the REM dream-like stage. Here you are able to process emotions, retain memories and relieve stress. This REM sleep will boost your mood after you wake up and have you feeling rejuvenated and energised.
- You’ll enter the next phase of the sleep cycle. Your body and muscles will relax and the day’s stress will be released. Here your eye movements stop, your heart rate and body temperature decrease and your deep sleep phase begins.
- You enter the ultimate deep sleep state you desire. This deep sleep feels like your brain is on vacation. Blood flow starts to decrease to the brain, helping you restore the energy you expended during the day.
Shanti Gowans is the globally recognised author and founder of Shanti Yoga™, Meditation and Ayurveda for the self, family and community.
Shantiji has brought the concepts and practices of a healthy body and a still mind to thousands of Australians through her Yoga and Meditation programs on national television... Read more about Shantiji's biography
Travel with Shanti & Peter Gowans this November for a trip of a lifetime.