Chanting: The Healing Power of Sound
Chanting has commanded great respect among yogis of the past and it is often considered one of the most important yoga practices. Chanting, by the recitation of mantras, assists in bringing the mind to a state of complete attention and can be used as a powerful tool to bring about healing and transformation.
Benefits of incorporating Vedic Chanting into your practice include:
- Chanting creates and promotes health and wellbeing
- Chanting calms, clears, and rejuvenates the mind
- It brings focus into inner stillness and creates space within
- Slowing of the breath and prolonging exhalation
- Enhances awareness of the physical body movement by synchronising with the breath in asana practice
- Enhances and develops the ability to listen, pay attention, fine tune concentration, patience and memory
- Relaxes the body, alleviates stress, agitation, and tension, and lowers blood pressure
- Regulates blood sugar level
- Regulates and balances all body systems
- Strengthens the immune system
- Different mantras can be used to bring about specific effects. Certain specific mantras can have an energising effect while others can evoke a calming and relaxing presence
- Chanting in a group – the effects are multiplied by the synchronicity of the group
- Vedic Chanting is an important tool in meditation. It brings about peace of mind when agitated. It shifts the attention from the external towards a deeper Being within. It helps focus the mind, so that you can listen with attention and understand others without judgement. It physically benefits you regarding your ability to stay healthy and provides the energy for your pursuits. Most of all, in chanting you learn to understand that the mind is not the master.
Come and join us: Wednesday nights, 7:30-8:30pm, during school terms. No fee.
Hari Rama Hari Rama
Shanti Gowans is the globally recognised author and founder of Shanti Yoga™, Meditation and Ayurveda for the self, family and community.
Shantiji has brought the concepts and practices of a healthy body and a still mind to thousands of Australians through her Yoga and Meditation programs on national television... Read more about Shantiji's biography
Travel with Shanti & Peter Gowans this November for a trip of a lifetime.