MEDITATION INSTRUCTOR TRAININGFinding Peace in a Crazy Busy World
The Health Institute believes that everyone has the innate capacity for Self-realisation and for enhancing their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health and well-being through the deepening practices of Meditation. Supplementary components include: gentle yoga, nutrition, breathing exercises, the company of like-minded people, spaciousness and nature. Our educational mission is to support both the general public and healthcare professionals.
- To empower students by awakening them to their individual potentials, freedom of choice and a vision of their own true cosmic nature;
- To help students build confidence in their discriminative capacity through daily exercise of conscious attention to the thought process and contemplation of their personal experiences;
- To help students embrace those values that have the power to protect, uphold and transform the individual and society;
- To help students understand and implement these values through regular, systematic practice of meditation and the sciences of yoga and ayurveda in their daily lives;
- To help students understand and appreciate that these same values are also found within their own spiritual traditions;
- To build recognition of, and respect for this teaching in the minds of the general public;
- To encourage THI administrators and teachers to grow and mature personally in order to serve as an example of this vision.
THE ART AND SCIENCE OF MEDITATION
Integrating Spirituality and Science
Comprehensive training in three parts. With personal instruction and guidance from Shanti Gowans, founder and CEO of The Health Institute, this compelling program guides you to dive deep within and endeavours to cut through the time spent on a long search before you begin a meaningful and sustainable meditation practice.
The program provides a sound direction for simple, sustainable yet transformative meditation, whereby everything in life is a 'go to' for spirituality, and where you will learn to find your answers - for the mundane as much as for the meaningful. It offers the world's most effective holistic mind-body practices in a system that unites the inherent healing power of the mind, body and spirit in a way that will positively impact every aspect of your life, boost your immune system and end stress.
Turn your life 180 degrees for the better. Meditation makes you feel calm, yet energises. You cast off unnecessary baggage, eliminate struggle, activate your inner strength, and realise your aspirations. You sleep better and experience freedom and happiness. This course will be a pivotal moment in your life.
All participants must enter at the very beginning and commit to the entire time
The Art and Science of Meditation Training Programme will be conducted over 3 years, in 3 parts, namely:
- Part l. The Art and Science of Meditation. Health, Wellbeing and Self Care (2013) $6500
- Part ll. The Art and Science of Meditation. Facilitator's Course, Archarya (2014) $6500
- Part lll: Meditation Awareness and the Art of Healing. Healer's Course, Maharishi (2015) $6500
RECOMMENDED COURSE MATERIAL for the 3 years of your study and practice
An Easy Guide to Meditation by Shanti Gowans
Inner Peace Handbook by Shanti Gowans
Discover Meditation - for Health, Wellbeing and Self Care by Shanti Gowans
Meditation by the monks of the Ramakrishna Order
Mindfulness Meditation and the Art of Being by Shanti Gowans
Peaceful Warrior by Shanti Gowans
Reflections of a Yogi by Shanti Gowans
Sitting beyond Thinking by Shanti Gowans
The Long Search for Meaning by Shanti Gowans
The Yoga Sutras by Shanti Gowans
Breathe for Health Practice CD by Shanti Gowans
Deep Relaxation and Self Healing. 2 CDs. by Shanti Gowans
Guided Meditations on Mindfulness. 2 CD course by Shanti Gowans
Guided Practices to Calm the Mind and Discover Inner Peace. 4 CDs by Shanti Gowans
Origins, Yearnings Destiny by Shanti Gowans
Samadhi by Shanti Gowans
Vipassana - guided practice by Shanti Gowans
Who am I? by Shanti Gowans
Each year consists of 200 hours of study and practice, conducted during weekend residential retreats, from Friday evening to Sunday after lunch, held every 2nd month and one 10-day retreat over Easter, at Nirvana Wellness Retreat. Accommodation is twin-share or single room (extra fee applies for upgrade), with delicious, healthy, Ayurvedic, vegetarian meals. Participants must enter at the very beginning and commit to the entire time.
The Course includes face-to-face instruction, mentored, supervised meditation practice, and related activities. 20 hours per weekend (Friday- Sun) is allocated towards course hours. Course components include:
- Meditation. Systematic procedure and practice whereby you learn to diminish distractions, train in one-pointed attention, use meditation skills throughout the day and build focus, fearlessness and strength.
- Vedic Science, Yoga Science and Buddhist Psychology. Discourses on how the mind/mind-body functions for optimal health. The power of the present moment. Building and healing relationships.
- Breathing. Mindful breathing, complete three-part yogic breath and your life force, prana.
- Easy, gentle yoga. Yoga stretches and exercises for muscles, joints, glands and internal organs.
- Relaxation, nidra, for stress reduction.
- Mantra and sacred sounds to create the vibration for optimal success and happiness.
- Mind/Body Care. Lectures and talks incorporating Ayurveda, the science of life, integrating spiritual beliefs and creating a therapeutic plan.
- Dharma Art
- Gourmet Vegetarian Meals. The best tasting, freshest food you've ever had. Every day you'll enjoy a complete menu of delicious, gourmet Ayurvedic vegetarian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Accommodation. Twin-share. Rooms are fully furnished and decorated. For single room accommodation, upgrade, a surcharge is applicable.
- Silence. Approximately 50% of the retreats require silence.
TAKE AWAY BENEFITS
Create the life you crave. Cultivate meditative absorption, unchanging realisation, emanating and gathering essence, which are the stakes that bind the life force. With the additional assistance of personal guidance and sound direction to effectively address your issues, you learn to orchestrate happiness and abundance in your personal and professional life.
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reduction in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
The Art and Science of Meditation provides an extraordinary opportunity to transform the debilitating energy of anger, fear, jealousy, expectation and disappointment into a powerful and beneficial force. This is a role that requires spiritual maturity on the part of the trainee. You are asked to dedicate yourself to upholding and embodying the wisdom, gentleness, trustworthiness and decorum of the Shanti Yoga tradition. You have to manifest as a 'beakon' in the world. Your study and practice must be viewed as an important step on the path of being a strong beacon of goodness. When you sincerely and willingly embrace and employ the principles and tools that this transforming art presents, your physical, mental and emotional dis-ease begins to melt away and you discover and creatively express your true life's purpose.
Discover the Art and Science of Meditation, Part 1 (2013):
Finding Peace in a Crazy Busy World:
Health, Wellbeing and Self Care
•health •peace •sleep •happiness •balance •love •freedom from stress •success
"Self care is essential to your wellness" Shanti Gowans.
Course commences March 2013. Course completion December 2013
Includes 5 weekend residential retreats (usually @$596 per weekend),
and one 10-day residential retreat (usually @$3980)
with twin-share accommodation, delicious vegetarian meals,
program, and take-home practice material.
For the most inspiring experience of your whole life.
Finding Peace in a Crazy, Busy World: The Art and Science of Meditation, Part 1 is for personal development towards your health, wellbeing and self care. It aims to foster self-understanding, coping capacities, performance, behaviour change, self-care skills and general wellbeing. Therapeutic outcomes and spiritual experiences will be the natural outcome, but are not the primary goal of this year.
- Purpose, benefits and effects of meditation.
- Three stages of training: the ground, the path, fruition.
- Simplicity retreat: guided meditation and wisdom energy healing.
- Meditating on the mind, body and nature.
- Merging practice with daily life.
- Meditation in motion.
- Exploring: What are we? What is thought? The 'I am' effect.
- Working with negativity and the creative power of the mind.
- Meditation in the major schools of yoga and world religions.
- Japa Bhakti: devotion, rituals and ceremonies.
- Meditation as a channel for spiritual energies.
- How to connect with yourself with greater empathy and compassion through mindful presence
- 28 March-2 April 2013 Vipassana Meditation
- 2-7 April 2013 The Seven Spiritual Laws of Healing
- 14-16 June 2013 Mindfulness Meditation
- 9-11 Aug 2013 Training the Mind
- 8-10 Nov 2013 Kundalini, liberating the force
- 22-24 Nov 2013 Balancing the Chakras
- 13-15 Dec 2013 Emotional Wellbeing. Awareness. Acceptance. Change.
Challenges and obstacles diminish.
Peace of mind increases.
Relationships feel easier and more loving.
It's your own personal paradise.
Repeat, repeat, repeat and you will go beyond basics.
The Art and Science of Meditation, Part 2 (2014):
Acharya, Meditation Facilitators Course
TEACH MEDITATION. Introduce your clients to meditation and a meditation practice.
For students with a strong personal practice in meditation, who feel ready to help others on their path, the Meditation Facilitator's course, Archarya creates deeper understanding and introduces practical tools that will equip you to create and run a meditation course in the community, workplace and with clients in private practice to promote individual and global health and harmony.
This intensive training is for students who are qualified and ready to take on the key role of Meditation Instructor. In this program, potential meditation instructors are taught how to work with newer students in their pursuit of on-going training in meditation and following the path of practice and study offered by The Meditation Institute.
All beings can walk the same simple road to peace of mind, void of suffering. Any situation, large or small, seemingly hopeless or destitute, can be alleviated. Learn to be a person who will eventually change the direction of the world, one person at a time.
These trainings prepare you to begin a practice of listening to, encouraging and supporting others. You will learn how to articulate the differences between the various types of meditation instruction provided in The Meditation Institute training levels, hold a meditation interview and use tools such as 'obstacles and antidotes' that are helpful ways of relating with the meditation experiences of students. A personal meditation practice as well as the ability to teach others is highly complementary to many therapeutic modalities. An excellent opportunity to open your heart and manifest peace in the world.
- Taming the mind
- Open Space - the unlimited energy of basic wholesomeness
- The Presence Point
- The Path of Awakened Life
- How to connect with your clients with greater empathy and compassion through mindful presence
- Inherent wakefulness. The wind that allows us to ride through life with joy and delight
- Clear Thinking/Understanding, the antidote to confusion.
- How the mind works. The mind and it’s world of direct perception and conceptual interpretation.
- The wheel of life: the dynamic pattern of karma
- Genuine contact with our emotions through working with their underlying energies
- The practice and science of non-duality
- How to teach mindfulness skills to your clients
- How to integrate the teaching of mindfulness practices into everyday life
- How to bring the insights of mindfulness-based therapeutic practices into your life and whorl when dealing with issues such as stress, anxiety and depression.
In this course you will learn
- to structure meditation courses and workshops
- to lead group meditation
- to perfect lecture techniques
- when and how to lead discussions
- how to help students make meditation a part of daily life
- breathing exercises, including how to use the breath to overcome distractions
- mantra meditation
- tratak, visualisations, subtle energies
- mudras and mandalas
- to understand the nature and function of the mind
- how the mind and body interface in meditation
- asana and pranayama practices specific to meditation
- effects of lifestyle and diet on meditation
- how to encourage students in their meditation practice
- Introduction to Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra
- how to organise courses
- teaching methods
Requirements for participation:
2 years of regular meditation practice.
2 years of regular meditation practice.
Completion of The Art and Science of Meditation 1: Health, Wellbeing and Self Care
Basic computer literacy
Basic computer literacy
An email address
Training includes your daily practice, workshops and practice teaching mentored by Shanti Gowans, homework assignments (estimated time 2 hours per week) that will be sent to you via email. These are to be completed on your own and returned in a week.
SCHEDULE - 2014 dates
- 28 Feb- 2 March Calm Abiding & The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success
- 17-22 April Conscious Breathing + Vipassana Meditation Retreat (Easter 10 days)
- 22-25 April The Seven Spiritual Laws of Healing
- 25-27 April Emotional Wellbeing - Spiritualising Anger and cultivating shakti
- 27-29 June Training the Mind: Mindfulness Meditation
- 15-17 August Taming the Mind: LoJong practice and Cultivating Compassion
- 3-5 October Transcending the Mind: Opening the Wisdom Eye
- 12-14 Dec Inner Peace + Light Being
The Art and Science of Meditation, Part 3 (2015):
Vaidya, Meditation Awareness and the Art of Healing
Mindfulness Meditation will turn you from skeptic into a practicing professional, and all will benefit. Problems dissolved and a whole new direction evolved.
Statement of Need
In response to the increasing pace and complexity of medical practice, physicians and other health professionals are experiencing unprecedented levels of job dissatisfaction and burnout, which affects their sense of well-being, their family life, the health of their children and partners, and the quality of care they provide. A powerful but under-recognised approach to these challenges is to enhance the physicians capacity for mindfulness. Mindfulness in medicine refers to the ability to be aware, in the present moment, on purpose, with the intention of providing better care to patients, and of taking better care of oneself. Mindfulness is at the core of clinical competence.
Research suggests that courses in mindful practice and mindful communication can result in lower burnout and greater well-being, family empathy and patient-centered care. In addition, mindful practice may result in fewer errors, a greater sense of presence, the ability to see a situation from multiple perspectives before reacting , and greater satisfaction from work. A Harvard study, part of ongoing neuroscience research, showed that changes in brain structure may underlie the cognitive benefits of meditation. This study focused on mindfulness practice, although many different forms of meditation exist. Similar findings have been replicated. Here is the link to the Massachusetts General Hospital-led study which shows changes over time in areas associated with awareness, empathy, stress.
Read article on mindfulness meditation.
This program holistically addresses the external barriers in the current health care environment that makes mindful practice challenging, as well as participants' and learners own internal barriers to self-awarensss such as unexamined emotions, premature closure, over-concreteness and emotional exhaustion - which then manifest as feeling overwhelmed by suffering, ignoring the obvious, treating others like objects, withdrawing from unpleasant or anxiety-provoking situations, having difficulty tolerating ambiguity and uncertainty, and making hasty decisions.
Meditative Awareness and The Art of Healing will prepare course participants to develop situational awareness, interpersonal awareness, self-awareness and self-monitoring during everyday work. Holistically integrating contemporary medical and psychological knowledge with the Eastern science of mind as a method for clarifying and deepening the practitioner's listening and diagnostic acumen and applying the basic forces of healing to health and ordinary life issues. This tends to foster the capacity for healing and brings renewal to the relationship between healer and patient.
- The human element in healing
- The nature of health
- The hidden fear of health
- The struggle with the body
- The direct cause of illness
- Sickness as a path
- Awakening the heart - the psychology of compassion
- Touching the Heart of Healing
- Understanding the loss of self
- Begin with the body, heal with the mind
- Movement and health
- Breath, the movement of spirit
- Recovery: One breath at a time - Pranayama and mindfulness practice
- The power of unconditioned presence
- Discovering humour in healing
- The ability to maintain compassionate support for oneself and others
- Keeping an open and clear mind in tough situations
- End the vicious cycle of ‘care-giver’ stress
- The inexhaustible healer: Rejuvenate your body, mind and spirit.
SCHEDULE - to be advised
Maharishi. Meditation Master's Course (2016)
- Eternal values for a changing society: From confusion to awakening
- Distinguishing consciousness from wisdom
- One river, many wells: The profound inner reality
- Consciousness, wisdom and buddha nature
- Embodied Presence
- Enlightened wisdom, the essential nature of mundane consciousness
- Enlightened leadership. Teachings on enlightened leadership to face the world's challenges.
- The Heart Sutra - the wisdom at the heart of everything
- The Diamond Sutra - indestructible purity and the path of purification
- Mahamudra - the great seal
- Vipassana - insight meditation
SCHEDULE - dates to be advised
- Mantra: Sacred Sounds of Power. Creating the vibration for optimal success and happiness.
- Vibration: the Essence of the Universe. Entrainment with vibrations for optimal success and happiness.
- Emotions, Prana and the Energy Body
- Chakras - power centres of a complex energetic database
- Raising Energy, Raising Consciousness - Kundalini Shakti
- The path of fire, light, sound and paranormal powers
- The Seven stages of psychospiritual growth through Yoga
- The road to Nirvana
- Maha Mudra and developing the witnessing consciousness
Expressions of interest please contact us.