80% of people will suffer from back pain at some point in their life, often debilitating pain, but most problems are undiagnosed, self-diagnosed, and it can be chronic. So what do you do? If you are going to have a healthy back, you will need to educate yourself and take action. For better or worse, it seems obvious that your spinal health must be taken into your own hands.
The simplest level, bending, extending and twisting form the background of most things we do and experience, and have a much greater say in the quality of life than any material possession. Thus spine grooming and hygiene is essential to remove pain. Your spinal column is the central axis of the body for these movements, and proximal stability is essential for functional human movement. Tight hamstrings might not be the cause of back pain. Back pain might actually cause tight hamstrings (chicken vs. egg) - nerve tightness might be the real issue. Lie down on your belly for 3 minutes, and then walk around. Your spinal disks are hydrophilic and require movement to hydrate. When aligned with integrity, your spine will allow you to form a conducting rod between the forces of heaven and earth. When movement is a joy, so is life. On the other hand, if movement is a 'pain', so is living.
The Healthy Body, Healthy Back Program is conducted at two levels:
- Relaxation and Yoga Breathing phase, using Yoga (diaphragmatic, chest and clavicular) breathing to help release stress and tension and improved respiratory function. When you achieve diaphragmatic release it takes away stress and tension from your chest and thoracic spine; and from your solar plexus, stomach, abdominal regions and lumbar spine, giving you better core control.
- Passive stretching and joint release, in harmony with your breathing helps you release tension around the joints of your body and lubricate them.
- Yogic internal alignment switches the muscular skeletal body into its cosmic matrix and opens up the tubular channels to supply your body more enegy and power. We work in the core of the body and its extremities to dissolve inflammation and spinal tension in stages all along the spine.
- Spinal integration practising Shanti Yoga asanas to deconstruct and undo knots of tension, unblock energy and provide the body with a spacious container for healing, with greater efficiency and thus less strain on your back.
Participating in these session will assist with ease of movement and improve basic functions such as walking, sitting and standing. I invite you to improve your coordination, experience greater ease of movement, live pain free and improve and maintain your health and movement. Moving with a sense of ease and having awareness of that ease is the personification of self respect.
- Healthy Body, Healthy Back: Anatomy and Physiology
- Spinal awareness
- Pain free posture
- Stand tall - mountain pose
- Feel revitalised and refreshed.
- Change your posture and the way you breathe, feel, function, think
- The Back in Crisis: Solutions for back trouble, herniated discs, neck and shoulder joint
- Back Pain
- Prevention and Management of Back Pain: Avoid a ‘back attack’
- Rehabilitate and prevent injury
- Backcare basics: at work, travel, in the bedroom
- Yoga and Your Back: Foundational Principles + Yoga Therapy +
- Spine and the Subtle body (kundlini, chakras, nadis)
- Ayurvedic approach to Health and Disease
- Ayurvedic Oil Massage (abhyanga)
- Diet for a Healthy back
- Other therapies and tools
- Relax your neck
- Reduce shoulder tension and liberate your shoulders
- Hip and Chest openers
- Undo knots, unblock energy, optimise back strength and stability
- A more flexible spine - Improve your range of movement
- Spinal segmenal stabilisation to reduce lower back stress
- Healthy hips, abs, knees and ankles
- Yoga Therapy for Stress
Shanti Gowans is the globally recognised author and founder of Shanti Yoga™, Meditation and Ayurveda for the self, family and community.
Shantiji has brought the concepts and practices of a healthy body and a still mind to thousands of Australians through her Yoga and Meditation programs on national television... Read more about Shantiji's biography
Travel with Shanti & Peter Gowans this November for a trip of a lifetime.