SYTA - Shanti Yoga Teachers Association
Live the dream, and manifest your destiny.Mother Theresa
We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
Our common goal is yoga from heart to heart, door to door, shore to shore
SYTA was founded by Shanti Gowans, CEO of the Health Institute Australasia and the inspiration behind Shanti Yoga. SYTA is for students, teachers and friends. SYTA is an association of individuals within the Yoga community who have adopted and are teaching the transformational Hatha Yoga path, and building an enlightened society that works towards a common goal: yoga from heart to heart, door to door, shore to shore.
Shantiji welcomes all current and long-time Yoga students to join her in reaffirming, celebrating and deep commitment to this vision. Friends are also welcome.
OBJECTIVES OF SYTA
- To celebrate our relationships with one another
- To strengthen our Shanti Yoga community and family
- To continue to do what we do best
- To change whatever needs to be changed
- To shape the future, honouring the past
BENEFITS OF SYTA MEMBERSHIP
- For full teaching members (Level 2 Full Membership):
- 10% off all short courses and workshops
- 10% off all Pure Shanti™ Products
- 10% off all books and cd’s published by Shanti Gowans
- Associate members receive 5% off all Pure Shanti™ Products, Post Graduate Courses and Workshops.
- Retail Associates get 30% off all Pure Shanti™ Products, minimum sales of $130.
- All members receive:
- e-newsletters periodically throughout the year
- Access to information on SYTA events Australia-wide
- Access to networking and volunteering opportunities with other professionals and organisations
- Specific yoga teachers retreat held annually at the glorious Nirvana Wellness Retreat, Beechmont Queensland. Discount applies to SYTA members.
- Information. Be kept up todate with information, news and developments about your field and profession.
- Professional Development. Access to professional development resources and training.
- Networking. Network with others in your field and be connected with like-minded professionals and the industry.
- Credibility. Gain credibility, nationally and internationally.
- Professional Commitment. Demonstrate your commitment to your profession.
- Recognition. Recognition and accreditation available for members that hold relevant qualifications.
- Be associated with a strong Code of Ethics – Professional Practice!
SYTA membership provides a network of information about teachers, events, current trends in the yoga and wellness industry and continues to empower, inspire, encourage and evolve a life-changing shift in consciousness that will catalyse and continue your amazing transformation in changing lives.
If you are seeking a deeper level of participation, and to mirror your potential in the company of other already successful and spiritually evolved yogis, SYTA membership will continue your life-changing journey.
Graduates of the Health Institute Australasia's Yoga Teacher Training courses can apply for membership with SYTA. All Yoga Teachers, Teachers in training and friends of Shanti Yoga are cordially invited to apply for membership of Shanti Yoga Teachers Association, International (SYTA International) the association of professional yoga teachers. SYTA is open to anyone who is sincerely and effectively committed to the Shanti Yoga path, and explore how we can personally, communally and globally apply living peace as the basic guiding force in our lives, and to the world. With the world seemingly at crossroads, socially and environmentally, we can aim to arouse courage and confidence to truly establish enlightened society.
Full membership is available to those who have successfully completed the Shanti Yoga Health Institute Diploma in Yoga Teaching Course or higher, or for those living overseas, on application to and successful examination by the Committee of Management. It is recommended that full members of SYTA be engaged in a program of ongoing professional development that earns the required points in each 3 years of membership and maintain ongoing records for accuracy that are available, if requested.
Whether you have been teaching yoga for years or are recently certified, you will find inspiration, training, support and community with us. Reinvigorate your teaching and commitment, attend master classes, add to your teaching toolbox with workshops and courses, get re-inspired at retreat, celebrate with concerts, food, dancing and chanting and the SYTA annual residential get-together.
- Membership is at four levels or categories.
- Fees are due on the 1st of September each year.
- Only full members can use the letters SYTA after their name or in marketing materials. The SYTA logo will be provided upon full registration.
Fees & Description of membership levels
|1||Retail Associates||Retail Associates are full SYTA members who are eligible for wholesale discounts on Shanti Yoga goods and services.||$195|
|2||Full membership||Full membership to SYTA is for Yoga teachers who have undergone training with a Government Accredited provider.||$99|
|3||Associates||Associates are professionals who have trained in other yogic or sister disciplines and want to be affiliated with SYTA. Friends are students and friends of SYTA benefactors, full members and associates. ||$66|
|4||Benefactors||Benefactors are those who have invested in Shanti Yoga goods and services.|
- Retail Associates are full SYTA members who are eligible for wholesale discounts on Shanti Yoga goods and services.
- Full membership to SYTA is in two categories:
- Accredited teaching members who have undergone Shanti Yoga training up to at least the Diploma in Yoga teaching level.
- Essential staff and non-teaching supporters of Shanti Yoga who have undergone the Meditation Institute Shanti Yoga training (pre accreditation).
- Associates are professionals who have trained in other yogic or sister disciplines and want to be affiliated with SYTA.
- Friends are students and friends of SYTA benefactors, full members and associates.
- Benefactors are those who have invested in Shanti Yoga goods and services
- Membership is renewed on the 1st of September each year.
- Yearly renewal of membership is evaluated and subject to a review prior to the end of expiry date and renewal will be granted upon the satisfactory operation within the bounds of Shanti Yoga guidelines in both teaching and behavioural ethics.
- Renewal needs to be accompanied with currency in CPD and in first aid.
- Membership in a professional association is necessary for Yoga Teaching insurance.
- SYTA International reserves the right to discontinue certification for members at the discretion of the principal.
- a set of shared principles and agreements
- attainment of specific enterprise competencies and standards
- achievement of community priorities
- the continuing development of training to keep upgrading the profession
- an important source of advice, support and guidance.
What students of Yoga Teacher Training need to understand:
- Shanti Yoga copyright exists on all texts, notes and handouts. You are most welcome to teach the material, but please spread the context of its source.
- 15 km distance
- Professional interactions re non-fraternisation (birds and bees) with Shanti Yoga students and your own future students.
- The teacher/trainee appropriateness in dress, behaviour and language whilst in attendance to all related Shanti Yoga/Health Institute classes and functions.
- Teach only within your scope (as described in Shanti Yoga notes). Failure to do so results in expulsion from SYTA and Health Institute Australasia.
Members try to lead a wholehearted yogic life and bring a dharmic perspective to all aspects of their life. They are not monks or nuns. What matters is both the spiritual commitment that they have made, and the lifestyle they adopt in working towards realising a society of greater wholesomeness. They aspire to live healthy and meaningful lives, to transform the dense lead of human suffering into the gold of enlightened consciousness and assist themselves and others with wellbeing, battling debilitating illness and degenerative diseases.
Every SYTA member undertakes to practise a traditional set of 10 ethical precepts, the yamas and niyamas. These point to basic principles applied to all actions of body, speech and mind. Both genders of SYTA members are able to follow the same precepts and practice on an equal basis.
Shanti Yoga fee assistanceThe Shanti Yoga Health Institute Australasia plays an important role in the nurturing and strength of the community and provides opportunities to expose trainees and graduates to training in skills that enrich community, communication and culture, to facilitate a solid background and experience within a meditative and contemplative tradition such as ours. In addition, the Shanti Yoga Health Institute Australasia Membership also organises social events and celebrations, assists with visiting members and teachers, and works closely with the Practice and Education team, childcare education and its graduates. Various positions are available to members who have knowledge and experience with the Shanti Yoga tradition and teaching.
SYTA annual residential retreatAll members are invited to join our annual Shanti Yoga Conference and Workshop held in August at our Nirvana Wellness retreat. This is a wonderful event that gives us the chance to practice, serve and celebrate together, sharing expertise and views on both traditional Shanti Yoga and Ayurveda.
Come and feel this yourself. Come and eat lots of good food and be a part of our resident community. Smile with the flowers and the green grass. Play with the butterflies, chickens and cows. Shake hands with the shrubs, ferns and twigs of trees. Talk to the rainbow, the wind and the sun. Converse with the running spring and the stars in the sky. Develop friendship with your fellow retreatants, dogs, human beings, trees, saplings and forest friends. Then you will have a wide, perfect, rich, full life. You will realise the oneness or unity of life. This cannot be described in words. Come and feel this yourself.
SYTA INTEGRITY PLEDGE
- Practise nonviolence in thought, speech and actions. The hurt of one is the hurt of all. The honour of one is the honour of all.
- Be truthful at all times.
- Do not take what is not given. Acting with respect is a fundamental given for all beings with noble aspirations. Respect animals, people, the planet, their belongings.
- Practise generosity. Everything counts. Cultivate a grateful heart for the gift of life and so many other gifts. Shower blessings and give thanks every morning upon waking up and in the evening before falling asleep.
- All actions (including thoughts, which are actions in mind), have consequences. Act from your God space. Demonstrate the courage and strength to be your most noble self.
- Treat visitors and guests with honour and consideration. Provide them with your best food and comforts.
- Receive strangers and outsiders kindly. People from all races are children of the universe and must be respected. See a stranger as a friend you have yet to meet.
- Observe discipline, moderation, balance and mindfulness in all things. Understand what leads to your wellbeing and what leads to your destruction. Make wise choices.
- Respect wisdom. Listen to and follow the guidance from your heart. Guidance comes in many forms, such as in stillness and solitude, in dreams, in the words and actions of parents, teachers, elders, friends, children, animals, strangers. Once you give advice, it no longer belongs to you; it belongs to everybody.
- To serve others, to be of some use to family, community or nation is one of the main purposes which makes life become meaningful. True happiness comes to those who dedicate their lives to the service of others.